What Is The Best Multivitamin For Women?
This international Women’s Day (IWD), we’d love to celebrate the remarkable achievements of women from all over the world. Being a nutritionist, I think IWD is the perfect day to shine a spotlight on female health and highlight the nutritional needs of women. When it comes to women’s health, in particular, there are specific nutrients that you want to make sure you’re getting enough of, to help you continue crushing it!
As a woman, it can be challenging to ensure that you are getting all the essential vitamins and minerals you need to maintain good health. This is possible through diet alone. Considering that women have specific nutrient needs that change throughout their lifespan, it’s essential to stay on top of nutrient intake. This is where a high-quality multivitamin can come in handy.
A daily multivitamin can help fill any nutritional gaps in your diet. It can also ensure that your body has the necessary nutrients to function at its best. However, with so many options available, it can be hard to know which one is the best fit for your needs. Join us as we explore the essential nutrients women need, as well as the best multivitamin options to meet those needs.
Nutrient needs change throughout a woman’s life
The nutritional needs of women change as they go through different stages of life, starting from their reproductive years. At each stage, there are essential nutrients required to support overall health, such as folic acid, iron, and calcium.
Women Between the Ages of 19-50
Childbearing years last from puberty to menopause. During this stage menstruation and hormonal factors can affect someone’s nutritional needs at this time.
Women aged between 19–50 are more likely to be deficient in several nutrients, including vitamin D, iron and folic acid.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding require even greater amounts of certain nutrients to support the growth and development of the fetus. These also help to produce milk. For this reason, pregnant and breastfeeding women are at a greater risk of developing certain vitamin deficiencies.
As women reach their mature years, the body undergoes physical and physiological changes that affect their nutritional requirements. As women reach their 50s, menopause can bring significant changes to the body. It's important for them to pay close attention to their nutritional needs. They should also consider taking supplements like vitamin D, calcium, turmeric, and omega-3 fatty acids. This will support their health during this stage of life.
Must have nutrients in your multivitamin supplement
When it comes to vitamins, women have similar needs as men, but there are some exceptions. This is particularly the case with iron, calcium, and folic acid.
When deciding whether to take a multivitamin or a specific vitamin supplement, I recommend keeping an eye out for these particular nutrients:
- Folic acid: This B vitamin is important for women of childbearing age, as it helps prevent birth defects. It also supports overall health by playing a role in the formation of red blood cells and the metabolism of homocysteine.
- Iron: Iron helps keep our blood healthy by forming haemoglobin, the protein that carries oxygen throughout our body. Since women experience blood loss during menstruation, we need more iron than men to keep our levels up. Without enough iron, we can experience fatigue, weakness, and even anaemia. So, it's important for women to make sure they’re getting enough iron through their diet or supplements.
- Calcium: Calcium is essential for maintaining the health of your bones and teeth. Women are at a higher risk of osteoporosis as they age, so it's important to get enough calcium throughout your life.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is so important for women's health, it's like a superhero nutrient! It helps keep our bones strong, boosts our immune system, keeps our hearts healthy, and even helps regulate our moods. It's not found in many foods, so it's important to get it through other sources. Try elements such as supplements, sun exposure, or fortified foods.
- Vitamin B12: Vitamin B12 is quite the energy booster for women's health! It helps keep your nerves and red blood cells healthy, which is crucial for maintaining energy levels throughout the day. Vegetarian and vegan women may need to take a B12 supplement, as it is mostly found in animal products. Without enough B12, you might feel weak and tired.
- Vitamin A: Vitamin A helps with cell growth and keeps your skin, hair, and eyes healthy. It also helps strengthen our immune system, which is especially important during cold and flu season. Without enough Vitamin A, we can experience dry skin, night blindness, and an increased risk of infections.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is an antioxidant that helps protect cells from damage. It also helps in maintaining healthy skin, hair, and eyes.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps protect the body against free radicals. It also helps the body to produce collagen, which is essential for skin, hair, and nail health.
The best multivitamin for women is one that incorporates all these nutrients into one supplement to support overall female wellbeing.
Tailored Nutrient Profile
A female-focused multivitamin formula is designed with women's unique nutritional needs in mind. It contains higher levels of certain nutrients that are important for women, such as iron and folic acid.
Multivitamin formulas often contain antioxidants like vitamins C and E. These can help protect the body from damage caused by free radicals.
Female-focused multivitamin formulas are often formulated to provide the recommended daily allowances of essential nutrients. This makes it easier for women to maintain consistent supplement use.
Ensure that your multivitamin formula is made from high-quality ingredients. It should also be free from genetically modified ingredients, harmful contaminants, artificial colours, flavours and synthetic binders.
It’s worth checking to see if your multivitamin contains additional ingredients that are beneficial for women’s health. This can include elements such as herbs and phytonutrients.
We've formulated our multivitamins and mineral supplement with over 24 essential vitamins and minerals per serving, it's perfect for topping up any nutritional shortfalls.
Riya Lakhani ANutr is a registered nutritionist and health writer with a special interest in plant-based nutrition. She has completed a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Human Nutrition, and has developed a passion for writing about all things plant-based.